Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Elections have consequences

Today I saw a program on MSNBC talking about Eric Cantor's loss in the primary election. It showed footage of a meeting only a few days after the inauguration in 2009 between President Obama, Eric Cantor, and others. The meeting was about passing and economic stimulus bill. In this meeting Congressmen Cantor made his pitch as party leaders do somewhere in this meeting President Obama says "elections have consequences," and he tells them that he won.

Depending on who you ask, someone might say that the President was unwilling to listen to modest proposals. Someone else might say that Eric Cantor was unwilling to accept the reality that Americans had just voted for the Democrats and their agenda and that even from Day 1, if President Obama was for something, than Eric Cantor and the republicans were against it. The later, I thought was the tone of the program I saw on MSNBC. But that's the point of my post.

Just a few minutes later I was riding my bike and thinking about the president's statement and I thought to myself, "He's totally a hypocrite for saying that."

The 2008 election was about many different issues but the outcome was pretty definitive. But I feel there was another election where the president didn't adhere to the spirit of the quote I mentioned. That was the Massachusetts senate special election where republican Scott Brown was elected to the Senate by a pretty comfortable margin. But in my view it seemed the president decided that this didn't matter and that he could ignore it and do what he wanted. In other words it seems to me that he thinks he can set the rules of what is kosher in politics and fold them so that they work only to his advantage. I said something similar in the bottom paragraph from a post I made earlier this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment