Sunday, September 20, 2009

American idol

A few weeks ago american idol announced that it was hiring a new judge to replace Paula Abdul named Ellen Degeneres. I saw a poll saying that about 58% think that this will make the show better and only about 28% think it will make the show worse. I think one of the reasons people think she will be a good judge is that she's nothing like Paula, I agree that this is a good thing because if they had tried to find a new Paula archetype that would've been kind of lame in my opinion.
I don't really have a problem with Ellen but I really don't think they should even have four judges. What I thought was really disappointing about last season was that during the top 5 the contestants only did one song instead of two songs like in previous years and in the top 3 the contestants only did two songs instead of three. I really think hiring Kara as a fourth judge was a mistake, not because there's anything wrong with Kara, but because people don't watch American Idol for it's excellent judging abilities, but because people like music, sure you want some judging but ultimately more performances is better than a fourth opinion.
The poll also said that women were more favourable about Degeneres than men, it makes me wonder if there is some subconscious sexism like there may be some subconscious racism with people that are critical of Obama.
This is unrelated but if you type Obama in the text-field it's underlined in red, I think it happens on facebook too, I guess the internet is racist, then again "facebook" is underlined in red on blogspot and facebook text fields as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment